Using Insurance to Offset the Costs of Rehab
Drug and alcohol addiction poses a very real threat to communities across the nation. As of 2020, an estimated 37 million Americans ages 12 and over currently abuse illegal drugs. These statistics are made even more alarming when considering how little of these individuals get the help they need to overcome their substance use disorder.
Among the 15 million people who struggle with an alcohol use disorder (AUD), not even 8% of these individuals received treatment, while only 1.4% of the 15.1 million ages 26 and over struggling with drug addiction sought treatment.
One of the biggest reasons many of these people did not seek treatment for their substance abuse was an inability to pay for this care. Fortunately, a lack of funds does not have to be what prevents you from overcoming your drug or alcohol addiction.
Keep reading to learn more about Blue Cross Blue Shield California for drug rehab, and the effective programs available at South Shores Detox and Recovery!
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield Cover Substance Abuse Treatment?
If you are covered through Blue Cross Blue Shield of California, you can rest easy knowing that your insurance should cover the costs of addiction treatment services. In fact, under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), all healthcare providers are required to offer some sort of mental health and addiction treatment coverage to their customers.
If you are struggling with a drug or alcohol addiction and are ready to seek treatment, you can generally expect the following services to be covered by your BCBS California insurance plan:
- Medical detox: This is the process of removing drugs or alcohol from the body while managing withdrawal symptoms, and can be done in any setting that is capable of addressing medical needs such as a hospital, inpatient treatment center, or outpatient setting.
- Inpatient treatment: This is a more intensive level of care that provides 24/7 supervision and treatment. Inpatient care is typically recommended for people with severe substance abuse problems or who are at risk of relapse.
- Outpatient treatment: This is a less intensive level of care that allows people to live at home while receiving treatment. Outpatient rehab typically includes individual and group therapy, as well as medication-assisted treatment (MAT), amongst various other services.
- Partial hospitalization program (PHP): This is a level of care that is more intensive than outpatient treatment but less intensive than inpatient treatment. It typically involves staying at your rehab center during the day, while returning home at night.
- Intensive outpatient program (IOP): This is a level of care that is even more intensive than PHP, typically requiring you to attend treatment for several hours per day, several days per week.
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT): This is a type of treatment that combines medication with counseling and therapy to help people overcome addiction by managing withdrawal and cravings.
- Co-occurring Disorder Treatment: This type of treatment offers comprehensive rehab services and therapies to those who are struggling with a dual diagnosis and require more complex care.
Everyone’s recovery experience is different, and you may not need each of these levels of care to overcome your behavioral health concerns. Which of these services will be best for you will vary depending on the severity of your substance abuse and several other factors.
At South Shores Detox and Recovery, we can help you determine which of these treatment options will be best for your recovery needs and get you started on your path to long-term sobriety today!
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield California Cover Mental Health Services?
For many people who are looking to attend rehab for substance abuse, it is all too common for them to also require simultaneous mental health treatments. Fortunately, BCBS insurance will often cover rehab as well as cover a wide range of mental health services.
Depending on the severity of your substance abuse and other mental health conditions you are struggling with, your BCBS insurance benefits may cover services such as:
- Inpatient and outpatient therapy, which can include individual, group, and family therapy.
- Psychiatric medications including antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, and mood stabilizers.
- Mental health assessments for diagnosing mental health conditions and developing treatment plans.
- Crisis interventions, such as hotlines and walk-in clinics, for people who are experiencing a mental health crisis.
- Telehealth for mental health services, which allows you to see a therapist or psychiatrist from the comfort of your own home.
While this can be used as a general guideline for what mental health treatment options you can receive coverage for, it is important to keep in mind that the specific mental health services that are covered by BCBS will vary depending on your plan.
You can reach out directly to our treatment facility today to learn more about our services covered under your BCBS plan. All calls are confidential, so please reach out now for support and get coverage details and expected costs, all within minutes!
Blue Cross Blue Shield Health Insurance Plans
Blue Cross Blue Shield offers a wide variety of health insurance plans to individuals, families, and businesses in California and across the nation. Some of the most popular BCBS health insurance plans include:
- BCBS Essential Health Plans: These plans are required to offer comprehensive health insurance coverage under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), covering a wide range of essential health benefits such as preventive care, prescription drugs, and hospitalization.
- Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) Plans: These plans require you to choose a primary care doctor who will coordinate your care. They are generally more affordable than other plans, but you can only see specialists if you are referred by your primary care doctor.
- Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) Plans: These plans give you more freedom to see doctors and hospitals in your network. While you won’t need a referral to see a specialist, you may have to pay more if you see a doctor or hospital outside of your network, making these plans a more expensive option.
- Point of Service (POS) Plans: These plans are a hybrid of HMO and PPO plans. You need a referral to see a specialist, but you can see doctors and hospitals outside of your network for a higher copay. POS plans tend to be more expensive than HMO plans, but less expensive than PPO plans.
- BCBS Medicare Advantage Plans: These plans are offered to people who are eligible for Medicare and offer a variety of coverage options, including prescription drug coverage, vision coverage, and dental coverage. While typically more expensive than original Medicare, they often offer more comprehensive coverage.
No matter which of these insurance plans you have, you should be able to attend a drug and alcohol rehab program without worrying about your out-of-pocket expenses. Once you know what your rehab coverage will look like, you can begin to look for treatment options that are right for you.
How to Find Out Your Blue Cross Blue Shield Coverage
If you are struggling with drug abuse and are ready to take back control over your life, your insurance should cover a wide variety of behavioral health services in California. There are a couple of ways that you can figure out what drug and alcohol addiction treatment services are covered under your policy.
Reaching out to South Shores directly can help give you a basic idea of what treatment options are available to you through your insurance plan. Our compassionate Admissions team can help you understand the types of treatment programs and locations included in your coverage.
We can verify your insurance in as little as a few minutes and let you know which of our treatment services are covered under your insurance.
Our Drug Rehab That Accepts Blue Cross Blue Shield California
There are several addiction treatment programs available throughout the country, and California serves as an epicenter for some of the best rehab programs available. If you are looking for treatment in the California network, your BCBS plan should help minimize your out-of-pocket costs.
While there are several rehab facilities in California that are in-network with BCBS, South Shores Detox and Recovery stands apart by offering the comprehensive care you need. We treat a number of substance use disorders and mental health disorders at our state-of-the-art facility in Orange County.
With our location in Dana Point, you can recover from your addiction in an environment that offers access to all of California’s natural wonders, from sprawling mountains to beautiful valleys, sunny beaches, and so much more.
What to Expect During the Addiction Treatment Process
When you decide to seek treatment at our rehab facility, you give yourself access to a devoted team of licensed medical professionals and individualized treatment plans. Our comprehensive treatment approach includes many different levels of care, including but not limited to:
- Medical detox services
- Residential treatment
- Outpatient services
- Medication-assisted treatment
- Behavioral therapies
If you have a dual substance use and mental health diagnosis, your treatment plan will include services designed to address both of your co-occurring disorders. Our extensive treatment and sober living programs can address your surface addiction, while our various evidence-based and holistic therapies help you work on your mental health disorder.
No matter what your recovery needs are, we will work with you from day one to make sure you are receiving the full support and care you need to achieve long-term recovery. Making the decision to seek treatment can be scary, but with financial support from your insurance and our comprehensive care, you can take back control of your life.
Get a Foundation for Recovery at South Shores Today!
If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction and is covered through BCBS of California, South Shores Detox and Recovery is here to serve all of your recovery needs. Whether taking advantage of our inpatient or outpatient rehab program, we provide effective and compassionate care to each of our clients.
Our comprehensive treatment approach gives you the support you need to achieve and maintain sobriety. To learn more about our treatment center and how we can be a great fit for all of your recovery needs, reach out to us today!